St George’s Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
Head of Digital Projects
Band 8c (£72,241 to £82,451 a year per annum inc HCAS)
St George’s University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is delivering a significant Digital Strategy, and this is a fantastic opportunity to play a key senior role in the Informatics Digital & Technology (IDT) Directorate at the Trust. Reporting to the Chief Information Officer and the IDT Director, you will work closely with key stakeholders to ensure the digital programmes enable delivery of our Digital Strategy.
Main duties of the job
Leading and coordinating the numerous technical, systems and operational projects, you will be responsible for ensuring the effective application of robust methodologies and reporting processes across project leads and teams.
We are looking for a motivated and experienced leader with excellent technical skills and a successful track record of delivery in senior digital programmes and projects within acute healthcare settings. You will be accustomed to working at pace, flexible in your approach and be responsible for the end-to-end lifecycle of major digital and IT infrastructure projects across the Trust.
In return, you could be part of an aspirational journey, in which there is both permission and support to be innovative, in order to ensure the Trust develops a leading IDT function.
If you would like a further discussion on the role, in the first instance please contact our executive search partner Finn McNulty at Hunter Healthcare on 07966 006 091 or firstname.lastname@example.org
St George’s University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is a large acute provider in the south west region of London. It serves the London Borough of Wandsworth, from its two sites, St George’s Hospital, Tooting and Queen Mary’s Hospital, Roehampton. St George’s Hospital is one of the UK’s largest teaching hospitals and one of the largest hospitals in Europe. We offer a full range of local hospital services and are home to one of four major trauma centres and one of eight hyper-acute stroke units for London. We care for a population of more than 1.3 million people and are one of the largest employers in the region, with 9,000 staff and volunteers. In addition, a large number of our services, such as cardiothoracic medicine and surgery, neurosciences and renal transplantation, also cover significant populations from Surrey and Sussex, totalling about 3.5 million people. Valuing the diversity of our local population is fundamental to realising our vision to provide outstanding healthcare to our diverse community
We aim to deliver outstanding care for our patients and provide the best working environment for our staff. As a Trust there is a lot to be excited about, we are on a journey of improvement and are extremely proud to have a national and international reputation for many of our specialist services.
- The post holder will be responsible for leading the IDT portfolio (of associated projects and programmes) to support delivery of prioritised IDT plans and larger Trust-wide programmes to deliver improvement.
- The role will be an exciting and challenging one, managing and co-ordinating a team of project managers with IDT leadership. This will involve working across a complex suite of projects and teams with challenging deadlines, including as examples: IT Infrastructure and Network programmes; EPR and Healthcare System programmes; and Outpatient, Inpatient, Theatres programmes.
- Lead the delivery of the overall IT programme of projects including coordinating the internal resources, with senior management.
- Contribute to planning and development of long term strategic plans, which will impact across the organisation, that take into account a broad range of issues, inclusive of aspects of service provision/development for the Directorate.
- To manage the IDT portfolio (of projects and programmes) to ensure delivery in accordance with accepted change and project management principles, a range of good practice techniques and tools; and structured management approaches which are relevant and proportionate.
- Identify and agree dependencies and programme timescales, prioritising tasks and optimising resources between projects. Identify and report on key milestones across projects/programmes.
- Development of necessary standards and supporting documentation to start projects up such as: Business Cases, Project Initiation Document, detailed requirements specifications etc.
- Ensure a strong and competent team structure is developed and deployed with appropriate escalation, delegation, two way communications and team working.
Governance & Reporting
- Establish project/programme boards, and associated Governance structures, to monitor progress and individual project teams to take work streams forward. Brief the project board and project teams on IDT leadership expectations.
- Ensure arrangements (by oversight or direct development) are in place for regular project board and project team meetings; co-ordinate the collation, review and monitoring of progress against project plans.
- Identify and assess risks to the achievement of intended outcomes of individual work programmes. Work with the IDT Leads to put plans in place to manage and mitigate those risks. Ensure risks and action plans are entered into the relevant risks registers.
- Communicates ideas and highly complex concepts/issues clearly, via presentations and during meetings, to all levels of staff, where there are barriers to understanding, in order to achieve positive outcomes.
- The post holder is required to establish and maintain proper and effective relationships between IDT and stakeholders/partners, this will include supplier/contractor relationship management and partnership working across a range of complex and strategically important projects some of which will be of high value. This will require the post holder to make complex and detailed presentations to large groups of senior staff
- Accountable and responsible for resources within IDT Programmes including recruitment, appraisal, grievance and disciplinary issues that may require the frequent management of challenging, difficult or emotive situations in some cases.
- Manage and develop staff / ensure they have necessary skills to undertake their duties and exercise their responsibilities effectively
- Provide representation and cover as part of the IDT senior leaders team as appropriate.
- Leadership, coaching and management skills and ability to lead by example and influence others
- Ability to analyse complex information from various sources
- Ability to think and act strategically
- oResponsibility for a range of policy implementation and policy or service development for a directorate or equivalent
- Substantial track record, preferably in the public sector, in the effective senior management and direction of large and complex portfolios of projects through the whole project/programme lifecycle projects, using structured methodologies e.g. PRINCE2
- Experience of leadership of complex digital/IT operational change/project management while also developing and maintaining high standards of quality
- An excellent understanding of clinical and non-clinical processes in acute, mental health, community and primary care settings and a clear understanding of NHS strategic priorities.
- oDemonstrable success in building, leading, motivating and developing multi-disciplinary teams as highly effective people manager.
- Responsibility for line management and training or development across an NHS organisation
- Reasonable understanding of various technology platforms and applications
- Ability to analyse and then communicate in plain English highly complex technical and management information.
- Ability to analyse and then communicate in plain English highly complex technical and management information related to a large number of technical projects.
- Having the highest level of interpersonal skills, able to deal with different personalities and levels of ability and seniority, and to build effective working relationships.
- Master Degree, PhD or equivalent experience
- PRINCE2 training (formal or informal) or equivalent
- Expertise of a range of discipline/MSP Registered Practitioner / ITIL Certificates
If you would like a further discussion on the role, in the first instance please contact our executive search partner Finn McNulty at Hunter Healthcare on email@example.com or 07966 006091.
Click here for full job microsite.
|Sunday 4th December